Thursday, February 5, 2009

Show some leg

Some people were concerned about the amount of simplifying I did on the leg on the last update (it's nice to know you guys really care ;o)

But it was just a first start, and not the final finishing touches: it will probably change a few more times until I'm happy with it. In fact it already did. ;o)

As you can see, I also like the wrinkles and folds. ;o) But I want to work out a simple way to recreate them, because the game model's way would require a lot of awkward folding, which I'd rather like to avoid.

The little straps are part of the "problem": they're a seperate texture now, but I will edit the texture file so that they can be part of the legs themselves, and I don't have to make them seperate parts.

As for the shapes, I'm pretty happy for now. Until a test build tells me it doesn't work the way I imagined... ;o)

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, now it looks better! *phew* :D
    I was exactly thinking about what would you do with the strap thing, but I see you've already come up with a great solution!
    Btw, I always try to make your posted images turn, as if they were in pepakura, lol!

    Looking forward to the next update! And thanks for listening to my blabbering! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I also sometimes find myself doing that, when somebody posts a screenshot of a 3D model in a 3D app, especially if they included the menu bars and such in the screenshot... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good so far.

    Kind of rlated to what Lyrin said, I was wondering if you had a reason why you never include a .pdo file for your models. Your instuction are usually more helpful than a .pdo would be, just wondering if you had any othr reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I'm glad you find my instructions useful, because they usually take a long time to make! Just releasing my models as PDO files *would* probably save a week or two... ;o)

    But perhaps the most important reason why I release my models as PDF files instead of just the PDO files, is that I like to make a nice layout for the sheets in Photoshop (and sometimes I make the last texture fixes in PS as well). All I really do in Pepakura is unfold the model, all the rest I do in PS, it just works better for me that way. ;o)

    But also, during the test build of a model, I often find things that I would like to change before the release. Usually it's just a few small parts, so I don't bother to unfold the entire model again, just the parts that need fixing.

    So there just isn't one PDO that you could call the final version, often many parts have to be replaced by their fixed counterparts. And instead of releasing all the half finished PDO files and leaving it to you to figure out what is what, I just like to put in some extra effort to release something that looks a bit nicer to build. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to great detial... very much ;)

    ReplyDelete