Monday, January 10, 2011

Clothes make the pirate

Kapitein Knoest is from before LEGO started to print the backside of torsos too, so there's only the front of the torso to texturize. ;o)

Creating a texture is actually very simple: a texture is nothing more than a 2D image that gets pasted onto the 3D model, so you can use any image editor you like to create one.

When re-creating an existing object, just like with the 3D model, you can scan the original, and use it as an underlying layer so you have a good guide to create all the shapes you need for Knoest's shirt.

After saving the image, you can load it into the 3D program, and apply it as a texture.

SketchUp has the Paint Bucket tool for this, which works very simple, but you usually have to position and scale it a bit to make it fit the 3D model properly (using the context menu after right-clicking on the texture).

I've always thought Knoest's shirt looks rather smart on him, doesn't it? ;o)

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the final designs! I've loved LEGOs for a very long time, so this project will definitely have a prominent space on my desk at school. Do you have an idea about the scale of the model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

    I haven't made a final decision on the size yet, because I have to test build it first to see whether the parts won't be too small.

    But I think if I make it about 30 cm tall, the parts should be big enough to handle, so that would mean he would be about 6 or 7 times as big as a real LEGO minifig.

    ReplyDelete