Thursday, September 8, 2011

Linebeck papercraft WIP 10


The ingame textures in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are understandably quite small, so when they get scaled up for a papercraft model, they aren't as sharp or crisp as the textures on more realistic games might be of course.

On most of Linebeck's parts, I like the effect though, but I felt the eyes just looked *too* pixelated, so I did smooth out those a bit.

Because instead of the "clump" hands I made 2.5D hands, I made some simple textures with nails for the separate fingers, and I also made the grin I gave him a bit sharper.

There's one more texture I want to change, namely the sea chart. The ingame sea charts work very well in the game (they're nice and clear) but they I don't think they'd look very nice compared to the artwork...

I've been using a LEGO Pirates treasure map (3068px9) as a temporary substitute, but for the final paper model, I want to make a sea chart that's a bit more like the artwork.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Is the face fairly flat, or is that just the angle/lighting? I feel like maybe defining the forehead a bit more would make the head appear quite a bit rounder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the part with the eyes sticks out a bit compared to the forehead with the eyebrows (but not much, though) and it's also quite round actually, but the pictures don't show it very well; it's the cheeks that determine the shape of the face when you build it and they're quite "sharp", so you'll need to pre-shape it very well! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you make the textures high-res? Do you know any tutorials or could you at least tell me?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a texture is really just a graphic image, so all you need to do is make a better quality image. ;o)

    I use Photoshop, but you can use any graphics program of course (Gimp for instance, which is free).

    The basic texture already existed of course, all I had to do is tweak it using the Clone Stamp tool, Brush tool, Eraser tool, copy+paste etc...

    Any tool really to get the required effect! There are lots of tutorials about how to use Photoshop's (or Gimp's, or any other software's) tool, but the easiest way to learn how to use them, is to play around with them. ;o)

    ReplyDelete