Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Papercraft U.S. Civil War ironclad U.S.S. Monitor


Ironclads were steam-propelled warships that were extensively armored by cladding their hull with iron or steel plates.

It was in the U.S. Civil War on March 9, 1862 at the Battle of Hampton Roads that the first battle between ironclads was fought between the Confederate CSS Virginia (Merrimack) and the Union's U.S.S. Monitor, either ship being unable to do any significant damage to the other heavily armored ship though...

Download + build your own U.S. Civil War U.S.S. Monitor ironclad (by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration):

http://monitor.noaa.gov/150th/students.html
(click the links under "Monitor Paper Model" near the bottom; you'll need to fix part of the hull that got cut off in the PDF file in a program like Photoshop or Gimp)

UPDATE: I sent the NOAA website a PDF file of the parts that I fixed myself (I simply mirrored part of the hull to make it whole again, and touched up some other small issues like on the stand) and they uploaded it to replace the faulty file on their site now!

I have to be honest though, I didn't test my fixes myself yet, but I reckoned the model is pretty much symmetrical, so it should all fit...! ;o)

(because of my printer margins in making the PDF file, it might not be exactly scale 1:144 anymore though...! but it's still a good size of course ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment