Saturday, November 28, 2009

Now if only I didn't mess up the scale of the legs...

The hardest part of the head were the ears, but with some extra care they look pretty good!

The head, hair and cap went together easily, using the same "slit and tab" method I used on some of my other models.

(but you'll see what I mean when I finish the model and the instructions ;o)

Stay tuned!

Thursday, November 26, 2009


Sometimes you can use the paper to your advantage.

In this example, the corner of part B where the shoulder meets the torso is coming loose, because both the glueing tabs from part A and part C are underneath part B.

Because part B has to be curved, there is a lot of tension in it, causing the paper to rip itself loose (it wants to be flat again).

If you switch the glueing tab at the front so that the glueing tab is on part B and underneath part C, it will press against the backside of part C but will have nowhere to go, so it can't rip itself loose anymore.

Alternatively, you can also do a better job glueing the parts together. ;o)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"It's not a skirt...!"

It's just the bottom part of the tunic.
Some people wearing tunics can be a little sensitive about that distinction... ;o)

Stay tuned!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

One-legged Link

The pants and the boots went together pretty quickly, and I'm sure
Link's man-skirt will as well. ;o)

Stay tuned!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Boot up!

Because I needed to know the exact height of the model in Pepakura Designer to make it in exactly the same scale as ZaL, I had to unfold the complete model once first (just the cap and the boots would have sufficed, but this was quicker than deleting the other parts first... ;o)

But to properly unfold the parts for the test build and final templates, I always make seperate files for the seperate (body)parts.

That way, it's much easier to see all the nooks and crannies of the 3D model, and you're not so overwhelmed by the work you have to do on one file. ;o)

Stay tuned!

Monday, November 16, 2009

Official Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers blockheads

A small interlude on my Hero outfit Link, because official papercraft models always are a little bit extra special I think! ;o)

They're blockheads of the main characters for the new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game Crystal Bearers!

You can find them on the japanese Crystal Chronicles news site.

Although it's a Japanese website, all the pictures are in English, so it's not hard to figure out where you need to click to download the templates:

(okay, so those last three are all in the same post... ;o)

I looked through the backposts, but it seems we're still missing Cid and Vygari, so bookmark the site and check back regularly or subscribe to the newsfeed to see if they might get posted in the future! ;o)

Have fun building!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Let's face it

Faces are hard to make out of paper at a small scale, because they have so many small details, much more than any other part of the body...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

If the cap fits...

This is a good example of the differences between making a 3D model for a game, and making one for papercraft I think.

The rim of the cap is a little bit wider than the cap itself, which creates a nice effect that I'd like to keep.

In a game, you can just suffice with a hollow shell, but if you would try to make it into a papercraft model like that, you would have to make a very thin strip of paper with a lot of awkward valley folds...

In this case, I think it would be better to close the "rim part" of the cap and make it into a flat, closed disc, so that you can simply glue the cap itself on top of the flat surface.

I often use this method and although it works pretty good in many situations, when making a papercraft model it's up to you to figure out what those situations are. ;o)

Stay tuned!

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Evil's Bane

As you can see, I redid the base of the blade in this version of the Master Sword.

This way, it's much closer to the original version in Twilight Princess, but it does require some additional, small folds. The test build will decide whether or not it's worth the extra trouble. ;o)

I also played around a bit with the textures of the sheath, to make the golden decorations look more shiny.

And although I think I succeeded in that, I'll have to decide whether or not it fits the style of the Twilight Princess game, which is actually such a dark game...

Stay tuned!

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Crossing swords

As you can see, I simplified the Master Sword quite a lot, although it might still prove pretty difficult to build in the end!

The length looks good, for those who would like to put it in the sheath.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Shee^Hath update

Like the shield, the sheath for the Master Sword had a lot of tiny details that would be too difficult to build in paper form in the scale I intend to.

I re-textured it to fit the (easier) shape I wanted it to have (still need to finetune the texture a bit more I think) but I'm also not quite sure about the hugeness of the sheath; it kinda looks way out of proportion!

Luckily it can easily be re-scaled, the next parts (the head and hair and the Master Sword's guard will be a lot more work than that...

Stay tuned!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...