Friday, January 31, 2020

Papercraft Kingdom Hearts Squa-, eh, Leon WIP


I haven't been showing updates so far of my making a papercraft Kingdom Hearts Squall, because so far it's basically been all the same: reworking the captured 3D model to make it better to unfold in Pepakura Designer later on.

The most important part are the "connections"; more often than not, the joints of video game characters aren't actually connected, and/or they will be pushed through one another ("collisioned") when posed, and that's just not possible in papercraft... Leon's model wasn't that bad actually as far as that goes!

I usually also combine a lot of the smaller polygons into fewer shapes that make fewer and nicer parts as a papercraft, especially on Leon's face.

The trickiest part about this has been making sure the textures fit the new parts. They were created to fit the original 3D model of course, and when I wanted the zippers to be part of the jacket, or the belt buckle part of the belt instead of separate pieces for example, or give the boots a higher shaft to go into the legs so you can actually glue them on in the papercraft model, I had to combine the textures together as well:


And the hair. Oh, the spiky Japanese anime hair... 😋

2 comments:

  1. Another amazing model! I'll definitely try it when you release it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you like it so far! I will test build it soon, it will have some tricky parts I think but I hope he'll be fun to build! When he's finished I'll put the parts and instructions on my papercraft webpage to download for free. It will take a little while, so stay tuned! ;o)

      Delete