Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Papercraft Quakeguy WIP 2


Compared to today's standards, the 1996 3D model of Quakequy is pretty simplistic of course. And I want to keep it that way, because that's the way (ah-hah, ah-hah) I like it.

Nonetheless, I always do at least some remodelling, usually to make it a bit easier to build out of paper later on, to fix a texture issue or just because I think it looks a bit better. So that's why you can see the some small changes between the original and the remodelled 3D model.

I was a bit surprised whan I had a closer look at Quakeguy's gun though! You'd expect for this simple object to be symmetrical, but you can see that the original model is a bit... wonky. This is one of those occasions where I think remodelling it (to be symmetrical) will just look better. 🔫


There's another thing with the gun, or rather with the hands that hold it. Or rather, with the stumps that hold it. 😋

Hands are are so delicate, that they usually require a relatively large number of polygons to model them in a video game. Especially older video games make use  of simplified hands to lighten the workload on early 3D games.

But this level of simplification means in this case that the paper model won't really be able to hold the gun because unlike in the digital 3D model, in the paper model you won't be able to simply 'merge' the gun into the hands... 😋

So in this case, I decided to completely remodel the stumps, making them more like actually hands, but still in a 'old' 3D style, kinda like on a lot of  my Nintendo 64 papercrafts. 😊


But yeah: I think I can already start thinking about a quick test build for this relatively simple model to see what it looks like so far! 🙂

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment