Saturday, May 6, 2023

free papercraft Tomb Raider 3D skeleton Lara vignette WIP


The actual game textures that you can extract with the 3D model from a classic Tomb Raider game (using the method I describe in this post) are always "scrambled up" for some reason.

I find it difficult to edit the 3D model with the textures into a base model that you can make into a decent papercraft that way, so I always cut up the extracted texture image into its separates pieces and combine those into a new texture image that's stitched together in a more logical way to make it easier for myself to recognize which piece of it belongs where on the 3D model.


I adjusted the pieces of the 3D model with the new textures,  so that there are no black lines showing around the edges anymore (that won't be necessary because there will be just be a physical hole between the ribs for example in the papercraft).

Like I said earlier, a lot of parts will be 2D pieces and they won't need to be double-sided like in the original game model (because in the papercraft, the visible backside will simply be white from the paper anyway for any 2D pieces 😋)

As always with most 3D video games model from this time, I had to properly connect the joints and pieces together because if they are not properly connected in the 3D model you can't glue them together in the papercraft in the end!

I mode Lara's foot flat so the papercraft will be able to stand on the full bottom of the foot.
I always like to be able to take Lara off the stand of my papercraft vignettes so I will try to make that work, but because she won't be able to balance very well in this running pose, the easy alternative option will be to just glue her permanently to the stand.

I think I'm pretty much done with the 3D work on Lara for now (and the stand I already did earlier and I'm pretty happy with at this point) so stay tuned for my future Work in process updates on X-Ray Lara!

No comments:

Post a Comment