Sunday, April 26, 2020

A New Helmet: Papercraft LEGO Star Wars Darth Vader (start)


So it finally happened: me making a papercraft LEGO Star Wars Darth Vader! 😊

Because most pieces are the same for each of my papercraft LEGO minifigs, I 'only' had to recolor/retexture the head and torso, make a cape and, most importantly of course, A New Helmet...

Apparantly I actually first seriously thought about starting a LEGO Darth Vader papercraft on a Tuesday 📆 (in 2015 😉) when I just scanned the pieces in preparation to recreate the torso pattern and the new pieces:


As you can see from the torso I scanned back then, the Darth Vader minifig I had then was the early version (sw0004a). But when I recently picked up the idea of a paper Vader again, I decided I liked the 'Death Star' version (sw0209) with all the buttons better, so I made a new torso pattern in Photoshop:


The scans of the helmet didn't prove very useful. They were just good enough to get the overal shape and size, but I couldn't really distinguish all the small details in the face part properly. Most LEGO pieces including the minifigs are pretty geometrical, but special pieces like Darth Vader's helmet have lots of small, curvy details, especially in the face...


I gave it a shot though in SketchUp refined it a bit in Metasequoia, unfolded it in Pepakura Designer to make the test build you see. And although it's definitely not an exact replica of the original LEGO piece, I really like how it turned out!

I made the helmet in three 'assemblies' (the outside, the face, and the inside) and that way I could glue these three pieces together relatively easy to close it (which is always a bit tricky because when you glue on the final part of a closed model you can't reach inside the papercraft anymore for adjustments... 😆)



So stay tuned while I change some of the parts that I want to do a little bit differently and I build the final version, so I'll probably be able to release it pretty soon! 😀 

No comments:

Post a Comment