Tuesday, September 6, 2022

What a difference a laser printer makes; when printing on mirror cardstock for papercraft! :o)


I always use an inkjet printer to print my papercrafts and it really works great!

...except when I want to print on mirror cardstock: the ink just doesn't doesnt bond with the imporous surface of the 'metallic' layer.

It's okay for a few small parts if you're careful not to smear the lines, but for a whole papercraft model, it would be very difficult to work that way...

So I bought a black-and-white laser printer, and I have to say: it works fantastic! 😀 So if you sometimes have to print on mirror cardstock or similar cardstock like this,  I highly recommend using a laser printer. :o)

If you don't have one, maybe you can try asking a friend that has one, or ask at work/school if you can make a quick personal print. Or you can go to a printshop of course, where they usual have laser printers too.

  • Make sure the  laser printer can handle the thicker cardstock though (I used the Joy! Crafts Gold Mirror cardstock which has a paperwight of 230 gsm)
  • And if you 're having trouble to get the printer to 'grab' the cardstock, I also had that issue a couple of times because the printer's sensors wouldn't recognize there was any cardstock loaded; I guess they got confused because of the reflective surface, because I solved it by putting some matte/non-reflective tape on the starting edge of the cardstock that the sensors could see.
Now what papercraft should I make using my new laser printer...?

No comments:

Post a Comment