Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cut & Paste Sci-Fi working papercraft Rubik's Cube!

Cut & Paste Sci-Fi has several science fiction models to download and build, but it's worth taking a look in the non sci-fi section too: one of the paper models you can find there, is a working Rubik's Cube!

I'm sure everybody knows the world famous puzzle cube. You mix up the colours, and try to get them back together again by turning the blocks.

Many a mathematician has spent hours on end calculating the total number of different possibilities, and this is what they came up with: 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 (the word you're looking for is 43 "quintillion")

But that's not the impressive part. The impressive part is, that you can solve all of those, in 25 moves or less...

If you don't go mad building all the delicate little pieces out of paper and getting them to work properly, you *will* go mad trying out if there really are 43 quintillion different possibilities...
Have fu... Good luck building..!


4 comments:

  1. I've built this one before. The thicker the paper you have, the better it will work. It's kinda sticky when you try to turn it, so if you use thicker paper, there's less chance of you ripping it apart every time you try to turn a side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can u give me the template I m not able to get it

      Delete
  2. The net is always in motion, again... Although Erwin's Cut & Paste Sci-Fi's website is gone, it seems like you can still get his free models from this new website: https://www.paperformed.com/free-models.html

    You need to make an account now though, I think... I'm afraid I don't have the files myself, and normally I would tell you to try and contact the designer, but I'm not sure if the email adress still works; you can always try of course, you can find it on this archived version of the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20080510160825/http://www.cutnpastesf.com/

    I'm sorry I can't help you better than this! :o(

    ReplyDelete