Monday, August 6, 2012

#OnThisDay (2004): One Piece "Going Merry" boat papercraft model!


The "Going Merry" boat from the anime One Piece was the 7th papercraft model I made for my papercraft webpage!

After watching a few fansubbed One Piece episodes, I quickly became a fan of this crazy series, and because I liked the look of the "Going Merry" boat, I wanted to make a paper model of it! ;o)

Like all of my early models, I drew all the parts to make it by hand, and then coloured it using aquarel, which really makes the hull like real wood! ;o)

I experimented a lot on this model, trying to find a good and simple way to re-create the sometimes complex shapes like the ornamental ram's horn-like shapes at the ends of the railings, and the sheep figurehead (Luffy's favourite seat).

I think the solution I came up with is pretty simple, but it looks pretty good! ;o)
For the shrouds to the crow's nest, I came up with the idea to print them on a transparant sheet: very simple again, but effective. ;o)

Of course I couldn't forget Nami's mikan/tangerine trees on top of the cabin, and there's even a little deck cannon!

All in all, I had a lot of fun making the "Going Merry"! ;o) It's actually quite small (only about 14 cm!) but it's still one of my favourite models.
Have fun building!

No comments:

Post a Comment